Thursday, September 10, 2009

It's always Fairweather

Chuffed over to the AGNSW this lunch break - beautiful day - the sun catching the Archibald fountain and the Gymea lilies as I skirted Hyde Park.
Didn't have an agenda but the wall of Ian Fairweather works caught my eye in a way that they  hadn't before. 
I guess, like provenance in an antique, a back story affects your appreciation.
Leonie had recorded an ABC doco about this Scot born painter who I'd never heard of previously. Turns out he was a true painting obsessive. And eccentric plus. 
So, I stopped and really took them in - and was rewarded. Get a small taste here but go and see them for yourself. And if you can learn a little about him before you go - so much the better.
Also worth a unrushed look is the "Printmaking in the age of Romanticism" - many super-natural visions of master printmakers working with the likes of Turner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment